Murmura upma can also be called murmura poha. Murmura upma is cooked in more or less the same way as poha. You can also temper it with urad dal and chana dal to make more like a South Indian dish. This is a breakfast as well as any time snack item which we find quite tasty.
Recipe of murmura upma
2 cups murmura (puffed rice/ moori/ mamra)
1 onion- chopped
2 green chillies- chopped
1 tomato- chopped
Salt to taste
1 potato- peeled and finely cubed
1 tbsp peanuts- roasted
1 tbsp oil
1/4 tsp cumin seeds
1/4 tsp mustard seeds
1/4 tsp turmeric powder
Juice of 1/2 a lemon
5-7 curry leaves
1. Wash murmura in a strainer (chalni) under running water and set aside so that all water drains out.
2. Heat oil in a pan and add cumin seeds and mustard seeds. When they pop, add curry leaves. After few seconds, add onion and green chillies. Fry onion till it becomes pink.
3. Add potato, salt, 1/4 cup water and turmeric powder. Cook covered till potato becomes tender and all water dries out.
4. Uncover and add tomato. Stir fry for 1 minute.
5. Add murmura and mix well. Let it cook covered on a low heat for 2 minutes. Turn off the heat and add roasted peanuts and lemon juice and mix. Serve and eat immediately. Keeping it for some time after making will make the murmura upma soggy.