Dal palak really packs a nutritional punch. You get the benefit of dal and green leafy vegetable in the same dish. Dal palak is not just healthy but very tasty too.
Recipe of Dal palak
¼ cup moong dal (split green gram)
¼ cup arhar/ toor dal (split pigeon peas)
½ kg palak (spinach)
1 onion- chopped
2 tomatoes- chopped
2 green chillies- chopped
3-4 cloves garlic- chopped (optional)
1 tbsp ghee (clarified butter)
½ inch piece ginger- chopped
1 tsp coriander powder
¼ tsp garam masala powder
½ tsp cumin seeds (jeera)
A pinch of asafetida (hing)
Salt to taste
- Remove stems of palak and wash thoroughly in running water. Chop finely. Wash and soak dals for 15-20 minutes. Drain.
- In a pressure cooker, place dal, palak, salt, green chillies and water. Let 2 whistles come. Then cook on low heat for 5-7 minutes.
- Turn off heat and after pressure drops, mash the dal lightly.
- Heat ghee in a pan and add cumin seeds. When they change color, add hing. After few seconds, add onion and sauté till they are light brown.
- Add garlic and ginger and cook for ½ a minute. Add coriander powder and garam masala. After 2-3 seconds, add tomatoes and cook till they are soft and pulpy.
- Add this tempering (tadka) to the dal and cover. Simmer for 5 minutes on low heat. Enjoy dal palak with roti or paratha.