Wadis in the recipe of aloo wadi are Amritsari wadiyan. Wadi is sun dried spicy urad dal (black gram) dumpling or nugget. When you make aloo wadi, take care not to add too much salt or spices as wadi is already very spicy. I prefer not to add any red chilli powder or garam masala powder. It’s basically a Punjabi dish and very tasty.
Recipe of aloo wadi/ wadiyan
2-3 large wadi (dried spicy urad dal dumplings)
3 medium potatoes- peeled and cubed
1 onion- chopped
2 tsp ginger-garlic paste
2 tomatoes- pureed
1/2 tsp cumin seeds
A pinch of hing (asafoetida)
Salt to taste
1/2 tsp coriander powder
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
2+2 tsp oil
1. Break urad dal wadiyan into small pieces.
2. Heat 2 tsp oil in a pressure cooker and roast wadi pieces till aromatic but don't roast too much otherwise they will burn. Drain. Soak the roasted wadi pieces in 1 cup of water.
While you make rest of the preparations, let them be soaked.
3. Heat 2 tsp oil in the same pressure cooker and add cumin seeds. When they change color, add hing. Add onion and sauté till onion become pink.
4. Add ginger-garlic paste and sauté for 1 minute. Add tomato puree, salt, turmeric and coriander powders. Fry for 2-3 minutes.
5. Add potatoes, wadi and enough water. Mix well. Close the lid of the cooker.
6. Let 1 whistle come, then turn the heat to medium. Let 3 more whistles come. Turn off the heat. Open the lid when pressure drops down naturally. Serve hot aloo wadi garnished with coriander leaves.