My family likes chana dal in its various avatars like chana dal curry, urad chane ki dal, lauki chana dal etc. In West Bengal part of
, chana dal is known as cholar dal and cooked in a different way with coconut and all. Here I have cooked it with Punjabi tadka and addition of chana masala gives this dal, added flavour. India
Recipe of chana dal
1 cup chana dal (split
3 cups of water
2 green chillies- chopped
1 onion- chopped
2 medium tomatoes- chopped
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
Salt to taste
1 inch piece ginger- chopped
1/4 tsp garam masala powder
1/2 tsp cumin seeds
1 tsp chana masala powder
A pinch of hing (asafoetida)
1 tbsp ghee (clarified butter)
1. Wash and soak chana dal for 1 hour. Drain.
2. Place chana dal in a pressure cooker along with 3 cups of water, salt, ginger and turmeric powder.
Pressure cook to 5 whistles and let the pressure drop down before opening the lid of the cooker.
3. For the tadka or tempering, heat ghee in a small pan and add cumin seeds. When they change colour, add hing. Add onion and green chillies. Sauté till onion turn light brown. Add chana masala powder and fry for 1 minute.
4. Add tomatoes and cook till tomatoes turn soft and pulpy.
5. Add this tadka to the dal and cover with a lid so that tadka seep through the dal.
6. Add garam masala and give 1 boil to the chana dal. Let the dal simmer on a low heat for 3-4 minutes.
Turn off the heat and garnish chane ki dal with chopped coriander leaves. Chana dal tastes great with both rotis and rice.