Lemon oats is one of the quickest oats recipes that I have come across. When I made it, I couldn't believe that oats can be so tasty. Oats in a yummy avatar dressed in lemon juice is a must try for all those health buffs who get tired of their monotonous oatmeal routine. What’s more, you can make them in a jiffy on a busy morning.
Recipe of lemon oats
1 cup oats (I used Quaker)
1 cup water
1/2 tsp mustard seeds
1/4 tsp turmeric powder
1/2 tsp red chilli powder or 2 green chillies chopped
Salt to taste
1 tsp dhuli urad dal (gram dal)
1 1/2 tbsp roasted peanuts
Juice of 1 medium lemon
1 tbsp oil
How to make lemon oats
1. Dry roast oats for about 4 minutes. Keep aside.
2. Heat oil in a pan and add mustard seeds. When they pop, add urad dal. Let it turn lightly red. Sauté green chillies if you are using.
3. Add water, turmeric powder and red chilli powder. Bring it to a boil.
4. Add oats and salt. Mix, lower heat and cook covered till all the water is absorbed.
5. Turn off the heat and mix in lemon juice. Add roasted peanuts and serve lemon oats hot.