Matar paneer is a popular dish from North Indian cuisine. I have always found it in North Indian wedding buffets and parties on big and small occasions. Matar paneer is quite delicious and easy to make. You can also use paneer in this dish without shallow frying it, to cut back on calories of course.
Recipe of matar paneer
250 grams paneer (cottage cheese) - cut into cubes
1 cup shelled green peas (fresh or frozen)
2 tomatoes- pureed
1 inch ginger piece
3-4 cloves garlic
2 tablespoon oil
1/2 tsp cumin seeds
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
1 tsp coriander powder
1/2 tsp red chili powder
1/4 tsp garam masala powder
Salt to taste
Coriander leaves- chopped
1. Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a non-stick pan and shallow fry the paneer pieces till golden. Take paneer out of the pan and keep aside.
2. Grind together onion, garlic and ginger in a blender.
3. Heat remaining 1 tablespoon oil and add cumin seeds. When they turn brown, add minced onion paste and sauté till light brown.
4. Add coriander powder, red chili powder and turmeric powder and fry for 1 minute.
5. Add tomato puree, 1 cup water and salt. Cook for 2-3 minutes. Add peas and cook covered till peas are soft.
6. Add paneer cubes and garam masala. Simmer for 5 minutes.
7. Garnish matar paneer with coriander leaves (cilantro) and serve hot with any Indian bread like roti or naan.