|moong dal kofta|
Moong dal kofta curry is also known as 'Tazee Mangori'. This dish consists of fried green gram dumplings in spicy gravy. Koftas are eaten with much relish in Indian households. They take some effort but the result is well worth it.
Recipe of moong dal kofta curry
For kofta (dumpling)
1 cup dhuli moong dal (split, skinless green gram/mung dal)
2 green chillies
Salt to taste
A pinch of hing (asafoetida)
3 medium tomatoes
2 medium onions
1 inch piece ginger
3-4 flakes garlic (optional)
Salt to taste
1/2 tsp red chilli powder
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
1 tsp coriander powder
1/2 tsp garam masala powder
1/2 tsp cumin seeds
1 tbsp oil + to deep fry
1. Wash and soak moong dal for 4-5 hours. Drain and grind with green chillies to a coarse paste. Add just 1-2 tsp water while grinding and no more.
2. Add salt and hing to the moong dal batter and beat the batter well. Beating well ensures fluffy kofta.
3. In a kadhai/wok, heat sufficient oil to deep fry. When the oil is hot enough, turn the heat to medium and wait for couple of minutes. Kofta are fried on medium heat. Drop small portions of batter in the oil with the help of spoon or your fingers. Fry these koftas till golden from both sides, turning as needed.
4. Drain on an absorbent paper. Set this aside.
5. For the gravy, grind together, onion, ginger, garlic and tomatoes to a fine paste.
6. Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a pan and add cumin seeds. When they change color, add onion-tomato paste. Add all the spices. Fry this masala till oil begins to separate.
7. Add 3-4 cups of water and add salt. Let it bring to boil. Add fried kofte and lower the heat. Let them simmer, covered, for 10 minutes.
8. Add garam masala and bring it to boil. Turn off the heat. Since moong dal kofta absorb lot of water from the curry, adjust the quantity of water according to desired gravy consistency. Serve moong dal kofta curry with rice or roti.