Those of you, who are making the bhatura for the first time, may find it difficult to roll out the bhatura as the dough sticks. So, an easy way out is to roll out between greased plastic sheets or a polythene bag teared into 2 halves and oiled. Keep one part on the rolling platform, place the dough ball on it and cover with the second half. Roll out and remove from the plastic sheet and fry. Bhatura tastes best with chole or chana masala.
Recipe of bhatura/ bhature
2 cups maida (all purpose flour)
3/4 cup curd (yogurt/ dahi)
1/4 tsp salt
1 tsp sugar
1/2 tsp baking powder
Oil to deep fry
1. Sieve flour (maida). Mix salt and baking powder to maida.
2. Mix yogurt and sugar in another bowl. Add this to maida.
3. Add lukewarm warm water to knead the flour into smooth, soft dough.
4. Keep the dough in a warm place for 3 hours so that the dough rises.
5. Heat oil in a kadhai/ wok. While the oil is heating, take a ball from the dough and flatten between your oiled palms. Roll out this ball on an oiled surface using rolling pin (belan) into a 5 inch round.
6. Place the bhatura in the hot oil. Press with a slotted spoon (pauni/ chhari), it will puff up. Turn over and fry form other side also. Deep fry this round or bhatura in the hot oil till golden brown from both sides. Drain on an absorbent paper using the same slotted spoon. Similarly make other bhature from rest of the dough.
7. You can also roll out the bhatura in an oval shape. Serve hot bhature with chole and sliced onion sprinkled with salt and lemon juice.