Lobia is not such a popular dish in Indian kitchens but its taste really depends on how it is cooked or exactly how it is seasoned. If you cook it as per the recipe given below, you will find it a welcome change from the routine meals. It’s a protein packed dish and quite nutritious.
Recipe of lobia curry
1 cup lobia (black eyed beans)
1 medium onion- chopped
2 medium tomatoes- diced
1 inch piece ginger- chopped
3-4 cloves garlic (optional) - chopped
1/2 tsp cumin seeds
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
Salt to taste
1/2 tsp red chilli powder
1/2 tsp coriander powder
1 tbsp ghee (clarified butter)
1. Soak lobia in water for 2 hours. In winters, soak in warm water. Drain. Boil in a pressure cooker.
2. Heat ghee in a pan and add cumin seeds. Let them crackle. Add onion and sauté till light brown.
3. Add ginger and garlic and fry for 1 minute.
4. Add tomatoes and salt and all the spices. Cook till tomatoes become soft and pulpy.
5. Add this tempering or tadka to the boiled lobia and mix. Cook lobia curry covered on a low heat for 5-7 minutes. Cook till you get the desired gravy consistency. Garnish with coriander leaves. Serve hot lobia curry with steamed rice or roti.