Tamarind rice is an Andhra delicacy. It is made most by South Indian Iyengar community. In south
, tamarind rice is known by many names like Pulihora, Puliyogare, Puliodharai and Puli Sadham. Tamarind rice or imli rice is a delicious South Indian variety of rice. India
Recipe of tamarind rice/ imli rice
1 cup basmati rice
2 tbsp tamarind (imli) pulp
1/4 tsp hing (asafoetida)
1/4 tsp turmeric powder
3 tsp peanuts
2 tsp dhuli urad dal (split black gram)
2 tsp chana dal (split
Few curry leaves
3-4 dry red chillies
2 tbsp oil
1 tsp mustard seeds
Salt to taste
1. Wash rice and soak for 20 minutes. Drain. Boil 5 cups of water in a pan and add rice. Cook till done. Strain in a colander and spread on a big plate. Sprinkle a little oil over rice and mix very gently.
2. Heat 2 tbsp oil in a kadhai/wok. Add mustard seeds, dry red chillies, both dals. Fry till dals turn light golden.
3. Add hing, curry leaves, turmeric powder and peanuts. Fry for 1 minute taking care that dal do not burn.
4. Add tamarind pulp and salt. Cook for 2-3 minutes. Lower heat and cook covered for 5 minutes so that tamarind become dry and dal become soft.
5. Add this imli mixture in the rice and mix gently. Serve tamarind rice hot.