|besan ki barfi|
Besan ki barfi or besan burfi is chickpea flour sweet which originated from
Punjab. It is a popular dessert which is not only sold on sweet shops but also made in many Indian households. This is my maternal aunt's (mausi) recipe who makes heavenly besan ki barfi. Enjoy!
Recipe of besan ki barfi
1 cup besan (gram flour/ chickpea flour)
1/2 cup ghee (clarified butter)
3/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup water
1/2 tsp cardamom (elaichi) powder
Chopped nuts like almonds, cashew nuts
1. Sieve besan so that there are no lumps. Heat ghee in a kadhai/ heavy bottomed pan. Add besan and roast on a low heat stirring constantly. Roast till besan turns deep golden brown. Keep breaking any lumps if they get formed. Turn off the heat.
2. Add cardamom powder and nuts to besan and mix.
3. Heat water in a pan and add sugar. Cook till sugar dissolves and syrup (chashni) thickens.
4. Add this syrup to roasted besan and mix well.
5. Pour this mixture on a greased tray. Let it cool down. Allow it to set and harden.
6. Cut squares or diamonds. This is now called besan burfi.