Instant microwave dhokla is really an instant and delicious snack. If you take the measurements as given in the recipe below, you get excellent results. Here, I have made the microwave dhokla just like we make microwave idli using microwave safe idli stand except that the batter is different, of course. Earlier, I also made a blog post about khaman dhokla made traditionally that is steamed on a stove. You can check out that too.
1 cup besan (chickpea flour/gram flour)
3/4 cup water
1 tsp salt
1/4 tsp turmeric powder
1 tbsp lemon juice (juice of 2 lemons)
1 tsp oil
1 tsp ginger-green chilli paste
1 tsp Eno fruit salt
1 tbsp oil
2 tsp sugar
1 tsp mustard seeds
100 ml water (1 small cup)
3-4 green chillies (slit vertically)
1 tsp lemon juice
1. Take besan in a bowl and add water little by little, mixing with other hand so as to prepare lump free batter.
2. Add salt, turmeric powder and ginger-green chilli paste to the dhokla batter. Let the batter rest for 20 minutes, covered.
3. Take a microwave safe idli stand and after washing it in running water, don't wipe clean it. Take 1 cup water in the plate of the stand.
4. In a small bowl, take lemon juice and add 1 tsp oil to it. Add eno fruit salt and mix quickly. Add this to the batter and mix.
5. Pour dhokla batter in the moulds of the idli stand immediately. (Don't let the batter sit after adding eno).
6. Cover with the lid which comes with the stand and steam on a micro High for 4 & 1/2 minutes. Take out from the microwave and after 1 minute, remove dhokla from the moulds.
7. For tempering or tadka, heat oil in a small pan on a stove and add mustard seeds. When they pop, add green chillies. Add water and sugar and let it come to boil. Turn off the heat and add lemon juice.
8. Pour this tadka over steamed dhokla and refrigerate it. Let the water from the tadka gets absorbed turning the dhokla soft. You can serve the dhokla garnished with fresh coriander leaves and grated coconut.
Note- You can cut each idli shaped dhokla into 4 pieces and serve.