|urad dal pinni|
Urad dal pinni is a traditional Punjabi sweet. Pinni is also made of atta or whole wheat flour but here I am sharing the recipe of pinni made of urad dal or black gram.
Recipe of urad dal pinni
1 1/4 cups dhuli urad dal (split skinless black gram)
1 1/2 tbsp besan (chickpea flour/gram flour)
1/2 tbsp atta (whole wheat flour)
2 1/2 tbsp sooji (semolina/rava)
3/4 cup khoya (mawa) - grated
1/2 cup ghee (clarified butter)
1 cup sugar
Chopped almonds (badam) and pistachios (pista)
1. Soak urad dal for 1 hour. Drain.
2. Grind urad dal to a fine paste adding minimum or no water while grinding.
3. Heat ghee in a kadhai/wok. Add besan, sooji and atta. Sauté for 5 minutes.
4. Add dal paste and sauté on low heat for about 1/2 an hour.
5. In the meantime, make syrup of 1 thread consistency by boiling sugar with 1/2 a cup of water.
6. Roast the almond pieces and set aside.
7. Add khoya to the dal mixture and cook for 5 minutes.
8. Add sugar syrup and cook till mixture dries up a little.
9. Turn off the heat leave the mixture to cool.
10. Shape the cooled down dal mixture into round or oval pinni. Garnish pinnis with almonds and pistachios.