Pulao usually comes to my rescue when I am not in the mood of elaborate cooking and hence prefer to cook 1 pot meal. Yesterday I cooked mushroom pulao which is not just easy to make but also very tasty. Mushroom pulao is a nice variation from the usual matar pulao or vegetable pulao.
Recipe of mushroom pulao
2 cups basmati rice
100 gms mushroom (khumb)
1 onion- sliced
2 tejpatta (bay leaves)
2-3 laung (cloves)
A piece of dalchini (cinnamon)
2 big cardamoms (moti elaichi)
1/2 tsp cumin seeds
1/2 tsp red chilli powder
Salt to taste
1 1/2 tbsp ghee (clarified butter)
1. Wash and soak rice for 20 minutes. Drain. Wash and slice mushrooms.
2. Heat 1/2 tbsp ghee in a pan and sauté mushrooms till light brown. Drain and set aside.
3. Heat 1 tbsp ghee in a pressure cooker and add cumin seeds, tej patta, dalchini, laung and big cardamom. Fry till cumin seeds change color.
4. Add sliced onion and sauté lightly.
5. Add rice, mushrooms, salt, red chilli powder and 4 cups of water. Mix and close the lid of the cooker.
6. Cook to 1 whistle.
7. Take out in a serving dish and fluff with 2 forks. Serve mushroom pulao hot.