|Moth ki dal|
I cook moth ki dal once in a while as a variation to regular food. I serve it with roti but you can also serve it with rice. Moth dal is known as matki in Marathi and is very popular in Maharashtrian cuisine where it is sprouted and used in salad, usal and misal.
Recipe of moth ki dal
1 cup moth dal (matki/Turkish gram)
1 onion- chopped
2 tomatoes- chopped
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
Salt to taste
1/2 tsp cumin seeds
A small piece of cinnamon (dalchini)
2 big cardamoms (moti elaichi)
1 bay leaf (tej patta)
1 tbsp ghee (clarified butter)
1/2 tsp red chilli powder
1/2 tsp garam masala
Fresh chopped coriander leaves- for garnish
1. Wash and soak moth dal for 2-3 hours. Drain.
1. In a pressure cooker, boil moth dal with sufficient water and salt, turmeric and red chilli powders, dalchini and moti elaichi. Boil till moth dal turns soft. (At least 8 whistles will be required).
2. Heat ghee in a pan and add cumin seeds and tej patta. When they splutter, add chopped onion.
3. Sauté onion till light brown. Add tomatoes and fry till oil begin to separate from the masala and tomatoes turn soft and mushy.
4. Add this tempering or tadka to the boiled dal. Mix and add garam masala. Let 1 boil come, then turn off the heat.
5. Serve hot moth ki dal garnished with coriander leaves.