|sookhi moong dal|
This is among the simple and easy yet tasty recipes. What is the moong dal used in this recipe? It is split yellow moong dal or split skinless green gram. Sookhi moong dal is also known as sookhi dal amritsari. You can have this dal as a breakfast option or with your parathas or rotis.
Recipe of sookhi moong dal
1/2 cup moong dal (split yellow moong dal/mung dal)
3/4 cup water
Salt to taste
3 green chillies- chopped
1 tbsp ghee (clarified butter)
1/2 tsp cumin seeds
A pinch of hing (asafoetida)
Juice of 1/2 a lemon
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
Chopped coriander leaves (cilantro) for garnish
How to cook sookhi moong dal
1. Wash moong dal, drain. Soak in water for 1/2 an hour. Drain.
2. Heat ghee in a pan and add cumin seeds. When they turn darker, add hing.
3. Add green chillies and sauté for 1 minute.
4. Add dal, 3/4 cup water, salt and turmeric powder.
5. Cook, stirring, moong dal till all water evaporates. Add more water if required, remembering that dal should not get mashed up.
6. Turn off the heat and mix in lemon juice. Garnish sookhi moong dal with coriander leaves.