Today, I made bharwa tori for lunch. I used small, slender tori which works best for this recipe. My husband doesn't much care for tori ki sabzi but when I cook bharwa tori, he eats to his heart's content. Stuffed vegetables have a special taste and stuffed tori are a good example.
Recipe of bharwa tori/ stuffed courgette
1/2 kg small, slender tori (turai/ courgette/ ridge gourd)
1 tsp salt or to taste
1/2 tsp red chilli powder
1 tsp coriander powder
1 tsp saunf (fennel) powder
3/4 tsp amchoor (dried mango powder)
1 tbsp oil (preferably mustard oil)
1/4 tsp turmeric powder
1. Peel tori and nip the ends. Wash tori. Make a slit lengthwise without separating the 2 pieces.
2. In a bowl, mix salt and all the spices except turmeric powder and hing. Stuff the masala in toris. Now, divide each tori into 2 pieces, horizontally (not lengthwise).
3. Heat mustard oil to smoking point in a pan. Add hing and turmeric powder and spread them in the whole pan with the help of a spatula. Turn the heat to low.
4. Add stuffed tori and cover the pan with a lid. Turn over tori once lower side is cooked. Let tori cook, uncovered from other side also.
5. If there is moisture in the pan, increase heat and cook uncovered so that all moisture evaporates. Serve bharwa tori hot with rotis.