|baked atta mathri|
Recipe of baked atta mathri
Today I woke up at 4:00 in the morning bitten by baking bug. For the past few days, I had been thinking of baking mathri instead of deep frying. Today I woke up fresh and tried my hands at baking mathri. To my surprise, they turned out delicious. I used whole wheat flour (atta) instead of all purpose flour (maida) to make them even healthier but you can use maida as per your choice. Here is how I went.
1 cup atta (whole wheat flour)
1/2 tsp ajwain (carom seeds)
1/2 tsp salt
1 tbsp curd (yogurt/ dahi)
2 tbsp ghee (clarified butter)
1/4 tsp baking powder
Cold water for kneading
1. In a bowl, mix atta, salt, ajwain and baking powder. Add ghee and rub between your fingers so that atta gets coated with ghee.
2. Add curd and slowly add cold water just enough to knead the atta into stiff dough. Keep aside, covered, for 15 minutes.
3. Preheat oven at 180 degrees C.
4. Take ball out of the dough and roll out into a big round. Prick them here and there with a fork. With the help of a cookie cutter or anything like this (I used lid of a bottle), cut small rounds from the big one. Repeat for rest of the dough.
5. Grease a baking tray and place these rounds on it. Bake them at 180 degree C for 20-25 minutes or till they turn golden brown.
6. Cool these baked atta mathri (I call them gold coins) completely before storing them in an airtight jar.