|moong dal halwa|
Moong dal ka halwa is a Rajasthani sweet, Marwari in particular. Now it is popular everywhere. You can find moong dal halwa in winter in Indian wedding buffets and many parties. It is quite heavy so a small serving usually suffices. It is best enjoyed hot in a cold winter night.
Recipe of moong dal halwa
1 cup moong dal (split, skinless green gram)
1 cup sugar
1 cup ghee (clarified butter)
1/2 cup water
Chopped and toasted nuts like cashew nuts, raisins and almonds
1. Wash and soak moong dal in hot water for 2 hours. Drain.
2. Grind moong dal to a coarse paste using very little water. Set aside.
3. Heat 1/2 cup water in a pan and add 1 cup sugar to it. Cook till sugar dissolves and you get syrup of 1 thread consistency (ek taar ki chashni). Keep aside.
4. Heat ghee in a heavy bottomed pan/ kadhai. Add moong dal paste. Fry on a low heat till moong dal turn golden brown and aromatic.
5. Add sugar syrup (chashni) to the moong dal and mix well. Cook on a low heat till they blend well. Turn off the heat.
6. Serve hot moong dal ka halwa garnished with chopped and toasted nuts.