Today as I was wondering what to cook, I opened the fridge. I saw that I had very few vegetables left and a bunch of palak was staring at my face. The palak was still in a good shape so I decided to cook aloo palak with phulkas. I used a very simple recipe but believe me aloo palak turned out very tasty.
Recipe of aloo palak
1 bunch palak (spinach) -stems removed and chopped
2 medium aloo (potatoes) - peeled and cubed
2 cloves garlic
1 inch piece ginger
Salt to taste
1/2 tsp cumin seeds
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
1/2 tsp red chilli powder (cayenne pepper)
1 tsp coriander powder
1 tbsp oil or ghee (clarified butter)
1. Grind tomatoes, onion, garlic and ginger together to form a smooth paste.
2. Heat oil or ghee in a kadhai (wok). Add cumin seeds and when they turn dark, add onion-tomato paste.
3. Add all the spices and salt. Cook till oil begins to separate from the masala.
4. Add palak and aloo. Mix well and turn the heat to medium-low. Cook covered, stirring occasionally.
5. Cook till potatoes turn tender. Then uncover and increase the heat so that all moisture evaporates, stirring in between.
6. When curry turns dry, turn off heat. Serve aloo palak hot with rotis.