Tahari or tahiri is a spicy vegetable pulao from Uttar Pradesh. You can also call it vegetable biryani. Tahari is usually eaten with curd or raita.
Recipe of tahari/ tahiri
1 cup rice - washed and soaked for 20 minutes
1 big onion- sliced
2 tsp ginger-garlic paste
2 cups chopped vegetables like cauliflower, potato, carrot, beans and green peas
1/2 tsp red chilli powder
1/2 tsp cumin seeds
2 bay leaves (tej patta)
4-5 cloves (laung)
1 big cardamom (moti elaichi)
A small stick of cinnamon
Salt to taste
1 tbsp ghee (clarified butter)
1. Heat ghee in a pressure cooker and add cumin seeds, bay leaves, cloves, cardamom and cinnamon. Let them change color.
2. Add onion and sauté till light brown. Add ginger-garlic paste and fry for 1 minute.
3. Add chopped vegetables and stir fry for 1 minute.
4. Drain the soaked rice and add to the cooker. Add salt and red chilli powder. Stir fry for 1 minute.
5. Add 2 cups of water and mix everything. Pressure cook to 1 whistle. Serve hot tahiri with curd or chutney.