|sabut masoor dal|
Recipe of whole masoor dal
1 cup sabut masoor dal (whole brown lentils)
1 medium onion- chopped
1 medium tomato- chopped
3-4 cloves garlic- chopped
1 inch piece ginger- finely chopped
1/2 tsp cumin seeds
A pinch of hing (asafoetida)
1/4 tsp turmeric powder
1/2 tsp red chilli powder
Salt to taste
4 cups of water
1/4 tsp garam masala powder
1 tbsp ghee (clarified butter)
1. Wash and soak masoor dal for 1 hour. Drain.
2. In a pressure cooker, place masoor dal, salt, turmeric powder, red chilli powder and 4 cups of water. Pressure cook to about 15 minutes on a high heat.
3. In a pan, heat ghee and add cumin seeds. When they turn darker, add hing.
4. Add onion and fry till pink. Add ginger, garlic and fry for 1 minute.
5. Add tomato and fry till ghee begins to separate. Pour this tadka or tempering over boiled dal and mix. Add garam masala and bring the dal to boil. Adjust the water levels according to the consistency of the gravy that you want.
6. Garnish the dal with chopped coriander leaves. Serve hot sabut masoor dal curry with plain boiled rice or roti.