Earlier also I made a blog post about bharwa tinda but in this recipe stuffing is different. Here I have made bharwa tinda in Punjabi style using onion and ginger-garlic.
Recipe of bharwa tinda
300 gms or 7-8 small tinda (apple gourd/Indian baby pumpkin)
1 onion- chopped
2 tsp ginger-garlic paste
1/2 tsp cumin seeds
1/4 + 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
1 tsp coriander powder
1 tsp saunf (fennel) powder
Salt to taste
1/2 tsp amchoor (dried mango powder)
1/2 tsp red chilli powder
2 tsp +1 tbsp oil
1. Wash and wipe tinda dry. Remove both ends and scrape the skin of tinda.
2. Make '+' cuts on the tinda so that each tinda is slit into 4 without separating form the base.
3. For preparing the stuffing, heat 2 tsp oil in a pan and add cumin seeds. When they change color, add onion and ginger-garlic paste. Fry for few minutes.
4. Add salt, all the spices and 1/4 tsp turmeric powder. Mix and after few seconds, turn off the heat and let it cool down.
5. Stuff this masala into each tinda.
6. Heat 1 tbsp oil in the same pan and add 1/4 tsp turmeric powder. Add tinda and lower heat. Cook covered till tinda turn tender and slightly brownish from the base. Turn over and cook tinda from other side as well. Serve bharwan tinda hot with rotis.