|kamal kakdi aur aloo ki sabzi|
Kamal kakdi aur aloo ki sabzi is more of a Punjabi delight. It’s made more often in Punjabi households. They call it bhein. Kamal kakdi adds a variety to routine vegetables.
Recipe of kamal kakdi (bhein) aur aloo ki sabzi
2 medium kamal kakdi (bhein/ lotus stems)
2 medium potatoes (aloo) - peeled and cubed
3 tomatoes- pureed
1 inch piece ginger
3-4 cloves garlic (optional)
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
1/2 tsp red chilli powder (cayenne pepper)
1 tsp coriander powder
1/2 tsp garam masala powder
Salt to taste
1 tbsp oil
1/2 tsp cumin seeds
1. Peel, wash and chop kamal kakdi into 1/2 inch pieces. Grind onions, garlic and ginger into a paste.
2. Place kamal kakdi along with water and salt in a pressure cooker and cook to 2 whistles. Drain the excess water.
3. In the same pressure cooker, heat oil. Add cumin seeds and let them change color. Add onion paste and sauté till light brown.
4. Add all the spices and salt and sauté for 1 minute. Add tomato puree and fry till oil begins to separate from the masala.
5. Add kamal kakdi and potatoes. Add 2 cups of water and close the lid of the cooker. Pressure cook to 4 whistles. Serve hot kamal kakdi aur aloo ki subzi garnished with coriander leaves with roti or paratha.
|kamal kakdi aloo curry|