Adai is a type of dal dosa and a popular Tamilian breakfast. It's very nutritious and protein packed since it uses so many dals (lentils). It's healthy, tasty as well as filling. To make it tastier, you can also add finely chopped onion or cabbage or both to the adai batter.
Recipe of adai (dal dosa)
1/2 cup rice
1/4 cup toor dal (arhar dal/ red gram)
1/4 cup dhuli urad dal (split, skinless black gram)
1/4 cup chana dal (
1/4 cup dhuli moong dal (split, skinless green gram)
4 green chillies
Salt to taste
A pinch of hing (asafoetida)
Few curry leaves
Oil to shallow fry
1. Wash and soak rice and dals for 2-3 hours. Drain.
2. Grind dals, rice and green chillies in a blender adding little water into a coarse paste. Remember not to add too much water as the batter for adai is usually thick.
3. Add salt, hing and curry leaves to the batter. Beat the batter well.
4. Heat a non-stick tava (griddle). Grease it and wipe off the excess oil. Pour a ladleful of batter in the center of the tava.
5. Spread it in the circular motion to make a round. Drizzle some oil around the edges and on top of the adai.
6. When the underside is cooked, turn over and cook from other side also till brownish. Similarly make other adai from rest of the batter. Serve adai hot with chutney or chutney powder.