Bedmi puri along with aloo ki sabzi (potato curry) is a popular Uttar Pradesh breakfast. You can also have them in 'Chandni Chowk' in
. You can also prepare bedmi aloo for Sunday brunch. They are simply delicious. Delhi
Recipe of bedmi puri
2 cups atta (whole wheat flour)
1/2 cup dhuli moong dal (split, skinlesss green gram)
3 green chillies
1/4 tsp garam masala
Salt to taste
1/2 tsp coriander powder
1 inch piece ginger
1 tbsp oil + for deep frying
1. Soak moong dal for 2 hours. Drain.
2. Grind together moong dal, green chillies, ginger, salt, coriander and garam masala powders in a blender.
3. Take atta in a bowl and add moong dal paste along with 1 tablespoon oil. Knead using water as needed. Cover and keep aside for 1/2 an hour.
4. Take lemon sized ball out of the dough and flatten between palms. Roll out on an oiled surface into 3-4 inch round.
5. Heat sufficient oil in a wok/ kadhai. Gently slide the rolled out bedmi puri in the oil. Press gently with a slotted spoon (pauni/ chhari) so that poori puffs up. Turn over and fry from other side also till golden in color. Drain using the same slotted spoon on an absorbent paper so that excess oil is absorbed.
6. Serve bedmi puri hot with aloo ki sabzi.