Kathal ke kofte is not something made commonly in Indian households but they taste good and worth giving a try. They are a nice change from regular vegetable dishes.
Recipe of kathal ke kofte
300 gm kathal (jackfruit)
2 medium sized potatoes- boiled, peeled and mashed
2 tbsp besan (chickpea flour/gram flour)
Salt to taste
Chopped coriander leaves (cilantro)
2 green chillies- chopped
Oil to deep fry
4-5 garlic cloves
A small piece of ginger
1/2 tsp red chilli powder
1/2 tsp coriander powder
Salt to taste
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
1/2 tsp garam masala powder
1/2 tsp cumin seeds
A pinch of hing (asafoetida)
1 tbsp oil
How to make kathal ke kofte
1. Smear oil on your palms and remove outer hard covering of kathal. Chop kathal into small pieces.
2. Put kathal pieces and little water in the pressure cooker and cook to 1 whistle.
3. Drain out excess water and mash kathal with your hands. Remove seeds.
4. In a bowl, mix mashed kathal, potatoes and ingredients listed under 'kofte' except oil.
5. Make small balls from the mixture.
6. Heat oil in a kadhai (heavy bottomed vessel) on a medium heat and deep fry these balls till golden. Drain out on an absorbent paper. Also fry in batches. These are now called kofte or fried dumplings.
7. For the gravy, blend tomatoes, onions and garlic in a blender.
8. Heat oil in a kadhai or a pan and add cumin seeds. When they turn dark, add hing.
9. Add onion, tomato mixture in the oil and all the spices (except garam masala) and salt. Fry till masala begins to leave oil from sides.
10. Add 300 ml of water to the masala and let it come to a boil.
11. Add kofte to it and turn the heat to low. Cook covered for 7-8 minutes. Add garam masala and after 1 minute, turn off the heat. Garnish with coriander leaves. Serve kathal ke kofte hot with roti, paratha or puri.