Recipe of homemade paneer
1 ltr. whole milk (full fat milk)
2 tbsp lemon juice or vinegar
1. Take a heavy bottomed vessel and put milk in it. Bring the milk to boil.
2. Lower heat and add lemon juice or vinegar to milk while stirring the milk.
3. Milk solids will curdle and greenish colored water will separate from them, which is called whey.
4. Line a strainer with muslin cloth or a very thin cotton cloth. Pour whey along with milk solids in it.
5. What you get now is milk solids or chhena. Gather the edges of cloth, tie them and hang from the tap (faucet) for about 20-25 minutes so that all water is removed from chhena.
6. Put this chhena in a plate and keep a heavy object on it (I use my marble chakla) for about 20-25 minutes.
7. Now, remove that object and untie the cloth. You get a block of homemade paneer. You can cut this paneer into pieces and use it for a variety of dishes like matar paneer, shahi paneer and palak paneer.
|milk solids curdling|